Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This Is My Suicide Letter, Part 2

INT. THE LIBRARY - NIGHT
Micah sits at a large table leafing vigorously through a rather large book. The camera zooms to show pictures of suicides. The first page is of a man hanging from a tree by the neck. Pictures are pencil drawn and of minimal detail.
MICAH
No, too long to die, way too long.
Micah turns the page and what he sees is a picture of a girl who has cut her wrists and is lying in a bath tub.
INT. CATHOLIC CHURCH - NIGHT
Back in the confessional.
MICAH
I like the mess the razor makes, but its really just a cry for help, I’d be found two weeks later still breathing and committed.

INT. THE LIBRARY - NIGHT
Micah getting frustrated turns the page again to see writing and on the next page, more writing, and the next the same, and the same, until Micah throws the book across the room as the woman at the end of the table watches in fear. Micah walks down the long aisles of books letting his fingers glide down all of the bindings of the books as he walks, camera focuses on the hand. Micah walks right out the front door, swinging both doors open as wide as the hinges will allow.
CUT TO:
INT. CATHOLIC CHURCH - NIGHT
MICAH
So what do I have to do to make this right with God?
FATHER MCAFFEREY
I don’t know if you could ever make suicide right with God. Are you looking for a way out?
MICAH
Don’t you think I’ve tried that. No one wants to die, the thought of not existing is unbearable. And I think that is why religion is so attractive to people. If we can believe there is no real end to life, it makes our lives easier to bear. It’s what keeps an old man from going insane with fear in his bed. But it seems to me that this is just another lie we tell ourselves. Life really can be more unbearable than death for some people.
FATHER MCAFFEREY
Son, I don’t really know what to tell you right now, except for you don’t have to live this way. (Micah rolls his eyes) I know, I know, I don’t know you or what you have been through, but if you would just open your mind to some of these fairy tales you keep talking about, you might find some truth in there somewhere. Something to give you peace.
MICAH
OK. I gotta go now, I’ve got a show tonight. See you around. (Micah smiles as he says this)
Micah leaves the church.
CUT TO:

EXT. OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - NIGHT
Micah lights a cigarette and stares up at the bell tower of this large Catholic church, he then picks up a couple blades of grass, and throws them into the wind while looking up to the bell tower, imagery meant to show his desire to fly from the top of that tower. Micah begins walking back down the street that is by now virtually empty toward his house.
MICAH
(Narrated) Love is an interesting topic of discussion for today, would you like to tell me about the time that you felt most loved? No thanks doctor, but would you like to know why I hate dogs? I was in eighth grade and I was walking to school one morning, walking to school is what little boys do sometimes, when I saw before me, about a hundred yards away, two horses, at least they looked like horses, turns out they were pit bulls, what luck. I began to run shortly after they started chasing me, but too late to hop a fence. So I ran. The horses gained a lot of ground as I neared my street and I started to hear them panting and snarling, and doing that thing that horses do when they sneeze, and I could feel hot air on my ankles. What do you do Micah? Scream, no by the time help arrives; I'll be a biscuit. Turn and try to fight? That is now the funniest idea I've ever had. Maybe I'll reason with them. I'll just turn around and explain why a skinny little boy like me would never make a good meal, why they would be much more satisfied with a nice packet of oat meal. I jumped. I jumped right up onto a car and I was saved until help arrived, that, Dr. Smorgasbord, is why I hate dogs, and walking to school. Those things are real. Love is nothing more than a lie among a thousand others I have chosen to adopt.
FADE TO:
INT. ELLIS AND OLIVER’S HOUSE - DAY

Camera fades out from a close up from Micah’s face pressed against the floor of Ellis’s bedroom. The camera fades out to see Ellis sleeping on his bed and the alarm clock reading 11:34. Micah wakes and looks around the messy room, slightly disoriented, but comfortable.
MICAH
We going to school today? Ellis?
ELLIS
What! (Half-asleep)
MICAH
We goin to school today?
ELLIS
What time is it?
MICAH
11:30.
ELLIS
I don’t care, whatever you want to do.
MICAH
Let’s go cause some trouble.
ELLIS
What about Ollie? Did he go to school?
MICAH
I don’t know yet, but if he is he’ll be sorry he did.
CUT TO:
INT. ELLIS AND OLLIE’S HOUSE...OLLIE’S ROOM - DAY
Ollie is sleeping on the recliner in the living room, he is sucking his thumb and holding on to a pillow and is wearing a a pair of shorts and some argyle dress socks.
ELLIS
Get up Ollie!
OLLIE
What! (Jumping to a sitting position)
ELLIS
Come on, we gotta go.
CUT TO:
INT. VIDEO STORE - DAY
Micah, Ellis, and Ollie are pacing slowly up and down the aisle of this small video store. There are a small amount of people here at this time of day on a Tuesday afternoon. There are sounds of birds chirping violently and annoyingly. Micah, and the guys are walking and trying to ignore this for a while until frustration overcomes Ellis and he comments.
ELLIS
What is that? What is that stupid noise?
OLLIE
Sounds like birds gettin busy.
Micah walks away silently out of the picture while Ollie picks up a movie from the rack and shows it to Ellis.
ELLIS
What the heck is that?
Ollie holds up a copy of Rhinestone, the movie.
OLLIE
What, its Stallone, you’ve got to love Stallone.
ELLIS
You idiot.
OLLIE
What the heck is Micah doing?
They both look to see Micah speaking with the clerk at the desk. They approach to see what they are talking about.
MICAH
Two years now, I can take care of this problem.
CLERK
I don’t know, my boss isn’t here, and I don’t think I can authorize spending petty cash without her approval.
MICAH
Who said anything about money, I’m not charging you for my service, I enjoy your video store, and your service, and I would be glad to remove these birds for free. Most people give me 100 to 150 bucks to remove one bird, and from the sound of it you have at least three up there. You need help and I can help you, what is there to be approved?
Clerk stands and stares reluctantly for a moment two at Micah who looks sincere in his respect for this woman. After a couple of moments, Micah gives the girl a warm smile and she returns the smile with flirtatious one.
CLERK
OK. But try to get it done by five because my boss comes in at 6.
MICAH
You got it, be right back
Micah flashes her another smile and walks out the door with Ollie and Ellis trailing in bewilderment.
CUT TO:

0 comments: