Friday, July 18, 2008

This Is My Suicide Letter, Part 4

EXT. HORSE ISLAND - NIGHT
The camera pans from the water that has the moon shining down on it in a pale yellow color to Micah, Ellis, and Oliver who are sitting under a bridge on a stone ledge fishing, Micah has caught one small one and is taking it off the hook and having trouble with it as it flips around.
ELLIS TRENTON
OK, top five coolest things to do with a fish when we catch one.
MICAH
Number 5, hide it under Ollie’s car seat. Number 4, punch it and give it the finger, Number 3, teach it to fish, then punch it, Number 2, pierce its lip and put it in a tank and name it Papagoergio, and Number one, lets see, throw it back.
Micah throws the fish back into the water and it swims away harmlessly.
OLLIE
Pulling a fish of his own out of the water
I got you, you little jerk.
Ollie begins reeling in and takes the fish off the hook and puts it onto the ground next to them.
OLLIE

Let you see how it is to breathe human air, you idiot.
ELLIS
Ollie, what about you, top five.
OLLIE
Micah and Ellis look at each other in disbelief that Ollie is so sick.
OLLIE
I don’t know about 3,4,and 5, but two, burn off it’s scales. One, burn it’s eyes out with a cigarette lighter.
ELLIS
Ollie there is something extremely wrong with you.
Ellis punches Ollie as Ollie gets up with his fish and climbs back over the wall.
ELLIS
OK, number 5, stuff it and wear it around my neck. Number 4, use it as the ball in fishball. Three, Give it away as a Christmas present to my mom. Two, put it in the drop box of a video store.
OLLIE
Dude, stop flippin around. Ellis, Micah, come here you’ve gotta to see this.
Ellis and Micah jump up from the ledge and look over the side. What they see is Ollie standing over a badly burned fish with no eyes and filled with coffee just spewing out of its mouth, smoking a cigarette.
ELLIS
Dude! Throw it back. You’re sick.
Ollie picks up the fish and throws it back into the water and it just floats on it’s side out of the camera view. Ollie hops back over the wall and sits.
ELLIS
Micah, I’ve been meaning to ask you, what happened the other day?
MICAH
I choked, worst game of my life.
ELLIS
You know what I am talking about.
MICAH
Not real sure, I just wasn’t feeling very good.
ELLIS
You weren’t feeling good, are you serious, you were on the ground screaming and staring at the wall like it was going kill you. Don’t tell me you just weren’t feeling good. What’s up?
MICAH
I really don’t know, I’m still trying to work this all out. Its like I feel a certain way all the time, and I think it has gone to the next level.
ELLIS
What do you mean the next level?
MICAH
I don’t know. I tell you now you tell no one. You got it?
ELLIS
I got it.
MICAH
Ollie?
OLLIE
Got what? I already forgot.
MICAH
I see someone.
ELLIS
What are you talking about, you see who?
MICAH
Just forget it, it doesn’t matter. No sane person would ever believe me anyway.
ELLIS
I wouldn’t be what anyone would ever call sane. And Ollie, just look at him, he tried to hang himself with a piece of Christmas tree twine.
MICAH
Alright. I see this guy, I dream these dreams and I do these things I don’t remember doing. I can’t remember the last time I slept more than 4 hours, I can’t remember the last time I woke up alone. Every night I have these nightmares that are so real that I don’t know if I am dreaming right now. I close my eyes and all I see are eyes looking back at me. This guy, Cold, he is everywhere and I see him when I am awake.
Ellis and Ollie are looking intently at Micah.
ELLIS
(Reluctantly)You see him right now?
MICAH
No, just you and Ollie.
OLLIE
I kinda figured that was going on.
ELLIS
What?
OLLIE
I get a weird feeling sometimes when you’re around. You clam up all of the sudden, and your really distant.
ELLIS
So you assumed he was seeing things that were not there, or sorry Micah, things that we can’t see.
OLLIE
Micah isn’t crazy remember? I just knew something was up.
MICAH
Let’s just forget we had this little conversation.
ELLIS
K, but will you tell us when this thing is in the room, so I can run?
MICAH
No problem.
MICAH
You think I’m crazy?
Ellis and Ollie don’t answer
MICAH
I do, at least I hope I am.
FADE TO:
INT. MICAH’S BED ROOM - NIGHT
The scene begins in Micah’s (19) room in the dead of night, there are eyes now painted all over Micah’s walls, and there is a large Iguana sleeping beside his bed like a watchman. Micah is having a bad dream and it shows by the language his body is giving out. The blankets have been kicked to the floor and the window is wide open. The curtains are blowing in on Micah as he lies shaking and curled up in a ball on the bed. Micah is saying various things in his sleep. Cold is standing over him in his room as he sleeps. Cold walks over to the bed and sits beside Micah and lovingly strokes his hair as he dreams. At the very touch of Cold hand Micah begins to wail bitterly. Not cry, not weep, but wail. The very touch of Cold is miserable it stinks. Cold leans over and whispers something into Micah’s ear.
COLD
In the end we all will fly Micah, up through the heavens to the fire and fry.
Cold gets up and leaves the room through the bedroom door. As he leaves, Micah catches a glimpse at the back of Cold as he walks though. The camera does a time shot sped up with Micah shaking until morning. Micah opens his eyes to see for the first time a poem written on the wall above his bed, it read, “In the end we all will fly, up to the heavens to the fire and fry.”

EXT. OUTDOOR BASKETBALL COURT - DAY
About 20 to 30 kids play basketball on two courts in a 4 court complex. Micah age 13 is standing alone, dribbling the ball, waiting for the game to be over so he can play.
BASKETBALL KID 1
11 - 10 us. Game point. You ready to walk home barefoot Trey?
TREY
Just check the ball.
Basketball kid 1 checks the ball to Trey who gives it back. The kid dribbles into the lane and takes a circus shot that manages to find the net.
BASKETBALL KID 1
Game. Gimmie your boots.
Trey sits down on the ground with embarrassment and takes off his shoes and hands them to the kid, who takes off his own ripped up shoes and throws them into the creek nearby. He then puts on Treys shoes and they begin picking teams. Micah is standing in the middle of them waiting to be picked, he isn’t.
BASKETBALL KID 1
Get off the court so we can play.
TREY
It’s alright Micah, let’s go.
Micah hesitates as if he were going to make a stand but is interrupted by basketball kid 1 throwing the ball at him and hitting him in the face. The kid picks up the ball and throws it again at him, then again hitting every time. Micah gets off the court in tears, shaking with fear. As he walks away, he turns and looks at basketball kid 1 and then to the road and Trey who is walking away toward the gate to leave. Through tear blurred eyes he makes out an image of a car pulling up and a hand reaching out of the window. He can’t make it out yet, but as he wiped his eyes and focuses, the shots cut through the air. All around him are kids running for the back fence, trying to get away as shot after shot is fired. Micah hits the ground on his face and stays down with his hands covering his head. Micah looks to the back fence and he sees all of the kids on the ground taking cover accept one. Trey. Trey is climbing the back fence when he is hit in the back with a bullet. The shots cease and the car drives off quickly.
CUT TO:
EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT
Micah (12) is running as fast as he can while crying and trying to breathe. He runs a couple of blocks before he reaches his house.
INT. MICAH’S HOUSE - NIGHT
He opens the door and runs right past his mom who is looking at him bewildered but not alarmed. Micah runs to his room and goes behind a small little club house he has made under the top bunk of his bunk bed behind the dresser. Micah sits and weeps as silently as he can given what has just happened. He is quiet because he does not want his mom to hear. He turns on the radio to silence his cries. Micah pulls out from under his mattress, a razor blade and hold it to his lips as he weeps. Around him are toy trains, pictures from his football team, a poster of Walter Payton, and various other pictures. Micah picks up a picture of him and his deceased friend Chris from the small dresser and holds it to his forehead with the razor blade still in hand.
MICAH 12
I want to be where you are.
Micah continues to cry as he sets the picture in his lap, stroking the picture of Chris with his finger, and holds the razor first to his throat and then to his wrist. His hands shake as we holds it.
FADE OUT.
EXT. CITY STREET (FALL) - DAY
Camera focuses on Micah (19) as we walks down the same street as the church, nothing is said, just music. Micah is quiet today, just walking and looking at all of the places he is passing, he looks and sees a small child playing catch with the football and laughing. He walks further and sees a little old man and woman sitting together on their porch, as he looks at him they glance back and wave, Micah just turns his head from them and continues walking. Cold is not with him today, he is just sad. The shots change as he walks past the church and looks up at the statue of Mary holding Jesus, then looks up at the cross at the top of the church. Micah walks on down the road until he comes to a liquor store.
INT. LIQUOR STORE - DAY
Micah goes in and walks over to the counter pulls out a twenty.
MICAH
Bottle of the Captain please.
STORE CLERK
You 21?
MICAH
Yeah.
STORE CLERK
You sure?
Clerk looks at Micah with hesitation.
MICAH
You want my money or not?
The clerk gives the bottle to Micah who takes it exchanges the money and leaves the store.
FADE TO:

0 comments: